Software Engineers work in the Cyber arena and specialize in the design, development, integration, and deployment of cutting edge tools, techniques and systems to support cyber operations and other intelligence activities. Working in a collaborative and learning environment, software engineers produce creative, innovative and elegant solutions to some of the toughest challenges. Software Engineers utilize their technical skills, imagination, ingenuity, initiative and expertise to help develop, support, and execute the Agency’s intelligence mission.
Opportunities for domestic and foreign travel are possible.
A 5-year Contract Term Agreement may be required in this position. Click here to learn more about the Contract Term Agreement.
Offices of the CIA – Directorate of Digital Innovation
The Directorate of Digital Innovation (DDI) is at the forefront of defining the future of digital expertise within the CIA. DDI focuses on developing the workforce with cutting-edge skills, investing in IT infrastructure, and modernizing the way the Agency does business. DDI officers help accelerate the integration of innovative methods and tools to enhance the CIA’s cyber and digital capabilities on a global scale and ultimately help safeguard our nation. Learn more about the Directorate of Digital Innovation
Life at CIA:
In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, the CIA offers exciting career opportunities and a dynamic environment. We’re on the forefront of world-altering events – as they happen. So working here isn’t just a job, it’s a mindset and a lifestyle.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge of the Windows operating system or UNIX/Linux environments or Mobile Operating Systems (such as Apple iOS or Android) and their associated software development kits
- Ability to design, develop, debug and maintain a diversity of programs written in C/C++, using modern software development tools and methodologies; work in a team environment; prioritize tasks; identify and manage risk
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code
- Demonstrated technical leadership; sustained excellent performance
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering
- Software development experience in multiple operating systems, such as Windows operating system, UNIX/Linux, or mobile operating systems
- Experience in the following: developing software in multiple scripting languages; Windows kernel level development; cryptographic principles and algorithms; operating system internals and/or device driver development on Windows, Android, MAC, iOS, UNIX or Linux OS platforms; reverse engineering software/firmware
- Knowledge or experience with wireless standards, network, and communication protocols (CDMA, WCDA, UMTS, LTE, IMS, SMS, RIL, TCP/IP, Vo/IP)
- System engineering and software project management experience or training
The following items must be attached to your on-line application (PDF format preferred):
- Your resume.
- A cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for one or more positions.
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees.
ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA.
All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview, and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.
To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.
Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are an applicant for or an employee of the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. You cannot control whom they would tell. We therefore ask you to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the Agency. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportunities/support-professional/software-engineer.html →